Thursday, November 05, 2015

The Run That Didn't Happen

As a kid in school, I never excelled in sports. I couldn't run fast enough, jump high enough or throw far enough to earn a medal. Cooper's Run I could complete but anything else was just not good enough.
This year, I eagerly awaited the start of 
registration for the Standard Chartered KL Marathon. I signed up within hours, for the 10 km Run for a Cause, which means I get to raise fund for a charity I pick. I chose Hospis Malaysia. I've always wanted to do more for Hospis. This organisation assisted Woan and I dedicated my first road run to my sister.
September came along, and less than a month before the run, we were engulfed in haze, smog from forest fires in neighbouring Indonesia.
Two days before the race, the race was declared still happening. I rushed to Dataran Merdeka after work Friday to collect running kits. The haze was so awful that I'd told myself I wouldn't turn up for the race. The following day, the race was declared off.
I'd spent that Saturday house cleaning, so the news arrived my end only when my work was done for the day.
I was still glad to have raised money for Hospis even though my first road run failed to take place. Next year then. And here's little K with the finisher medal that Big K said I "cheated" to obtain. Whoops. 

No comments: