Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Ups and Downs

The other half was asked recently, he told me, by a childhood friend what marriage was for him. The other half replied it has its ups and downs. Because the question came from a friend whom I’d known well enough for decades, I took it as an affront that my other half presented the marriage to me as being not such rosy a bed to lie in. That must mean I’m not that fun to be married to half the time, no?
Let me dissect this.
My first question to myself was, why did I feel betrayed? Did I think my marriage was perfect?
Perfect, I knew it’s definitely not. But I measure mine against one I know most about — my parents’.

Theirs fell apart when they were in their late 40s, where I am now. Granted, they’d been married longer by then, having started younger. So, the fact that I’m still in mine must mean that my marriage has more ups than downs.
Secondly, I worked hard at maintaining this household financially, and at not aggravating my spouse. That’s not perfect enough?
I helped bring two kids into this world. (with God’s grace).

The above was written in February 2018.

Since then, I've forgotten that this was my angst then. Isn't it odd how I viewed such trivial things as the one and only thing to make me blow my top then but yet today, I'm able to look back and just hurrumph it? (May 2, 2018)

So, the lesson learned for me is, do not sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff.




No comments: