Saturday, March 05, 2011

A Great Musician

In the mid 1990s, after migrating to KL, I had the opportunity to watch this talented chap perform at a pub. It was somewhere in Damansara. Those were the days when I was a poor journalist. Amir Yussof's brand of acoustic rock music was great, resonating with me. And so I set out to lay my hands on his album.
His Some of This Is Real CD proved impossible to track down. For many years, I searched for it, enlisting the help of my then-boyfriend. SF and I hunted high and low prior to the days of music downloads. It was an elusive ``search for the Little Bird,'' as SF calls it.
SF and I married, moved away to Singapore, had the little one. The search was put on the backburner, but Amir's music wasn't forgotten. After we returned to KL, the family became regulars at the Malaysia Philharmonic Orchestra, and for the 2010/2011 season, who to turn up on its program but the man himself.
Amir's performance on Feb. 21 was truly enjoyable. Amazingly beautiful songs written by him too. And he'd brought two of its three albums with him. I got hold of Some of This Is Real and Aquarius. There is culmination to a one-and-a-half decade search for them. Still missing is his second album, Altered Native.
Now I've found Amir a new fan. Nature's Gift is Kayrin's favourite.

No comments: