Monday, December 10, 2007

Boy Scout

Shaw Feng was so much into boy-scouting activities as a teenager (before I knew him) that by the time we met, I was more than half amused that he could be so excited about what he used to do, those knots, those camping days. What use are those experiences in life, I'd ask myself. Not going to fetch you the big bucks. No one hires you for your boy-scout badges, right?
Then we got married and set up home, and me, with my tenderfoot Girl Guide badge to show, could do nothing much for the house! I could climb up the stairs to clean the fans. But when they start giving that "kreng-kreng" noise when switched on, I pretend I don't hear them.
Yesterday, Shaw Feng fetched the ladder, and in about 45 mins, fixed all four ceiling fans on the first floor. Whoa, was I impressed. He only dropped once a wrench-like tool from about 9 feet up.
Then, wrapping up the show, he realized he couldn't find a missing part for that wrench-like tool. (OK, OK, I don't know my tools. I only know wrench because 4-year-old Kayrin pointed out what a wrench was.)
It was spinning on top of the bedroom fan. Quite safe, of course, stuck to the inner parts of the fan. He's still my hero for the day, for the weekend. I wouldn't have known right away which fan I left bits n pieces of tools in. Thank goodness for a boy scout. And oh, Shaw Feng has to tie all knots at home.

No comments: