Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mother, Only by Law

Life at home has been chaotic since the middle of this year. This time, I must say, I have not much of a hand in it in the first place. Now, it seems to me that I'm the central, focus point of this family trouble that started with the mother-in-law and father-in-law having a fight over money.
When the rows began, I tried to stay neutral, patch them together. I assumed that I could help. Right-ho, the first thing I always say about assuming is this -- making an ass out of you and me. If I had wondered why I didn't do enough to patch my parents together way back in the 1990s, those anguish were sort of put to rest after what I attempted with the in-laws. I tried talking to the mother-in-law, all in vain. Actually not. It turned me into her public enemy No. 1. She's caused SF to stop talking to his dad, and now she's wont on worsening relations in my home.
I'm sinking into a big hole of unhappiness. I'm one to talk things through. Even when SF and I fight, we trashed things out. We may raise our voices, but we talk things over and we get through it. But how does one discuss the issues at hand, that mother-in-law has only bad things to say about me behind my back, without making the old lady put on a show of being the world's most victimised person? She does fainting spells when things don't go her way.
Her anger is seen by all around her. Her unhappiness is well known. My only prayer is not to go down her path. Not to internalize all these angst and years later, implode and accuse SF of not taking up my case. I need to see things from a different view. But wait, the view's blocked because she's impeding it.
I need to de-stress. Poor Kayrin has already been the brunt of my unbridled temper lately and can't understand why I won't speak to her grandmother over the phone.
I'm sure one day I'll come back to this and read this post and no longer want to scream myself hoarse. May be one day I'll stop having pretend conversations with the old lady where she is civil and agree nicely that she will stop making me out as the evil one.
Not everyone thinks highly of me. If SF and Kayrin do, I guess that should be sufficient.
How apt that this was on the Daily Bible Verse today.
"A fool's lips bring him strife, and his mouth invites a beating." Proverbs 18:6

No comments: