Wednesday, December 30, 2009

School

"I like my school," Kayrin told me today after her orientation at Sri Sedaya, which she went to with Daddy.
Best words I've heard in weeks! After months and months of agonising over which school to send Kayrin to, which type of school she goes to (Chinese-medium versus the National-type-in-a private-school), she seems happy with what we've picked.
I thought it was hard to choose which brand of milk formula to give her after I stopped breastfeeding. This is a lot tougher!
I hope her fondness for school remains. I don't particularly remember liking the five schools I had attended all my life, except for may be Sekolah Menengah Convent Butterworth. I spent five years there, the longest I'd been in a school, so that probably explained my affinity for it.
There was Sekolah Kebangsaan Baling, SKB. The kids called it sekolah kandang babi. Never felt like I belonged there. I was the only Chinese kid there till Woan and Lyan started school. Then there was three of us Chinese kids in a school of Malays. And a handful of Indians and Thais.
In 1980, we moved to Butterworth. SRK Convent Butterworth was fun, especially its library of Enid Blyton books. Sure did inspire me to read. Mrs. Wong the librarian was the best in inspiring us to devour those story books.
Then there was Sekolah Menengah Convent for five years, with teachers who inspire me to write. Puan Lee Mee Lin, in Form 1, allowed us to write and dedicated time to us asking silly questions . We could remain anonymous by dropping questions into a box placed in class. One student asked what VD was! Anothr asked how we could mourn the death of the Challenger astronauts.
Then, I got sent to Sekolah Menengah Tinggi Bukit Mertajam for Form 6. Didn't last more than three months at HSBM but through the people there, I met, fell in love and married a true-blue HSBM alumni.
Sekolah Menengah Datuk Onn was the nearest school to home I ever had. I'd walked there and home.
May Kayrin have a great time at Sri Sedaya, make friends she remembers and be inspired to live life fully because of her experience there. Happy schooling, darling.

No comments: