Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year

Another year wraps up. I took a tumble early on New Year's eve. Didn't need to raise my glass to bid auld lang syne to 2009 before I was on my knees. It all happened on my way to the gym for the last time this year. I lost my concentration the split second I was about to step down a flight of five steps. Next I know, I had landed on my butt and an officer in charge of more than 100 people who must have heard me moaned was asking if "ma'am's all right?" Yes, I'm fine and happy new year, I chirpirly replied. The butt now hurts. Especially the left butt cheek, for landing right on the edge of a marble step.
What's a tumble compared with the troubles of 2009! This year is marked by troubles at home. Tumultous times between the father-in-law and mother-in-law. Bad enough that Kayrin was left to be sent to school by her teacher after having her grandfather ferry her for about 1 1/2 years. The squabble spread, splitting the family in many ways. It also made me realize that there wasn't much I could have done to keep my own parents together when trouble brewed between them when I was in my early-20s. As an adult in the late 30s, I couldn't even patch up the divide between MIL and FIL. For all my efforts, I became MIL's public enemy No. 1.
A thud on the butt is a good reminder as any that in the coming year, I'll take charge of my family, because no one is able to keep my marriage in good shape if not for SF and myself. Happy New Year!

No comments: