Thursday, July 03, 2008

Extra Mandarin

Kayrin started her extra Mandarin classes this month. That's an additional 1/2 an hour a day, which brings her schooling hours to 12 p.m. from 11:30 a.m.
So far, the little one is enjoying it. What a relief for me! I was initially against lengthening her hours. Why torture a kid, right? But being a kiasu mom, I was also worried she wouldn't adjust to Mandarin-medium classes next year, so after speaking to the headmistress, we're doing a one-month trial. I'll speak to the little girl at the end of the month to see if she wants to continue with the classes.
She's caught on that there is some difference with the additional class.
"In class I speak English, but during pou chup (tuition), I speak Mandarin," she told me two days ago.
She's having fun so far, she said.
I am an anxious mom, ya? I worry about overloading her. I worry I'm not giving her enough lessons.
And oh, now, our evening past-time is reading C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. We've finished The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Now, it's Prince Caspian.

No comments: